Tuesday 12 July 2011

Pneumonia

Leila has now been diagnosed with pneumonia. Last week I took her to the drs 3 times, on Monday I was told her chest was clear and she probably had a virus. On Thursday when I complained she was tired all the time because of the coughing keeping her awake I was given a bottle of cough linctus. Saturday, the dr said her chest was clear but thought she needed an xray and gave me a letter for the hospital.
So yesterday I took her to the hospital radiography department and she had her xray. When sent like this the xray is usually sent to your GP and you have to go and see them in about 5 days for the result. This time the radiographer told us to take her to the GP straight away and sent her xrays immediately. So we knew something was up. The dr said she had bi-lateral inflammation of the bronchi (bronchitis) and masses on both lungs which indicated pneumonia. So my little girl is really poorly. We've been given some strong anti-biotics and have to go back for a follow up xray.
Leila has been coughing since just after Christmas. I've taken her to the dr so many times. She had anti-biotics which did nothing to help. Then the dr thought it must be asthma and gave her a reliever inhaler (Ventolin). It helped a little at first but then she got bad again, so two weeks later she was given a second preventive inhaler. This didn't seem to have much affect at all.
I'm not a dr so I don't know what has happened for her to get so bad, but I do think she has asthma (Craige had asthma as a child too) and she's been getting infections one after the other on top of it.
I've been carrying on as normal thinking it's just asthma and we need to carry on as it will be with us for years. I've been sending her to nursery, which has been ok mostly but last week she was just getting more and more poorly. Now, I'm going to keep her home and try to get her better.

1 comment:

ppbear said...

Oh My!! Dr's are far too quick to brush things of as just a virus :~(

really hope she is on the mend x