Thursday 19 July 2012

Home Sweet Home

I live in a council rented house, I've lived here for nearly 24 years now. At one point, about 12 years ago I actually started the process of buying the house myself, I had quotes from builders for the work I wanted doing and everything was looking rosy.  Then my family life was torn apart and I had to give up my job. No income meant no mortgage and no home of my own. This has been one of my biggest regrets.
There is not much wrong with this house that couldn't be fixed. The kitchen would be a really nice size if only I could know down the wall to the pantry...I mean who needs a pantry and coal shed these days? I'd much rather have a bigger kitchen. I only have three bedrooms, one is massive, one big and the other is fairly small. Our attic space is humongous and would easily fit two more bedrooms, or bedroom and en-suite. We have room out the back for an extension, possibly even a double extension. The garden is a lovely size. We live near all amenities, even the girl's school is just a short walk away. The public transport is good and we have some great local shops, library and doctors surgery. A huge super hospital and maternity hospital would take just 1/2 hour to walk to if it was necessary. The neighbours and neighbourhood are nice.
So why do I want to move? Because there are seven of us living here. Four adults and three children. Think about it, seven occupants - three bedrooms! It's just not working.
So we filled in an application for a house transfer. We could manage with five or even four bedrooms but they insisted we could only apply for six bedroomed houses. There are very very few six bedroomed houses that ever come up. Then we don't stand a chance of getting one because the council work on a points system and we don't have many points. We are not illegally overcrowded until Lucy is ten, that's three years time. I tried to go down the medical route, provided doctors notes, psychiatrist notes, psychologist notes but to no avail. They still don't think we would benefit from a bigger house. So I contacted the local MP. He contacted the council and they said although they sympathise with my situation the only things they could suggest was that I rented privately or asked one or more of the adults of the house to move out.
So who do I ask to move out, my autistic son, my depressed daughter who has instructions from her psychiatrist that she is not fit enough to live alone, or maybe me or the little ones dad? What a joke.
Private renting a six bedroom house is not an option either, never mind the cost which would be triple what we are paying now, there are no properties available because we live a University area and all the big houses are adapted for student accommodation.
So it looks like we are staying put, at least for another three years.
We'll just have to make the most of it. Originally when we just had the girls we were going to split our bedroom into two. We can go back to that idea, it might be a squeeze but with a little careful planning I'm sure we could do it. I may even ask the council if it's possible to knock down the wall in the kitchen. (they won't do it, but they might let me if I pay for it to be done properly) It's pretty difficult preparing food for seven in such a small place.
We will work it out I'm sure.

No comments: